Tuesday, December 9, 2014

My Letter to the Younger Ones

Dear _________________,

This one is for you.

A letter from me to you and the girl in middle school wearing braces and going through puberty, the freshman boy trying to make new friends and figure out where he fits in, the girl trying to figure out what college to attend, and the one that doesn’t know if they are in the right major. To the ones that only need a little reminder that it gets better.
You can grab your elbow and knee pads, but it won't protect you from everything :)
I had braces. For I believe exactly two years and one day. And I am glad I did because my teeth are still pretty magnificent at age 23. I still wear retainers. And I like being goofy in them when my friends see me in them.

I had braces when I still didn’t have contacts and wore glasses all the time. It was the same time when I tried to give myself highlights from the box and it turned out terribly wrong. Even my siblings agree, I went through that “ugly betty” awkward phase of life. Who would have thought that girl would compete in a Miss Kansas USA pageant about a decade later?

For a long time, I attempted the messy bun look. When I was little, I wanted to master the messy-throw-up-your-hair-style my cool dance teachers did and then later what the college girls did when they went to class or the library. I finally would master it at the age of 22 and it was an amazing feeling. Sometimes you just have to practice and wait. It might come to you over time.

And along the way, you will always have bad fashion moments that you thought were cool at the time. Just go along with it. Whatever makes you feel confident and comfortable!
The braces, glass, and bad fashion moment. I think you can see the blue fuzzy stuff stuck on my pants.
It’s okay to change your major. The average is 4 times for college kids. I did twice. I almost wish I went in undecided and just let life take it’s course and figure out what my passions really were instead of what I thought they were or what I thought would be easy or a good fit. And just because I like to try to plan everything and know where I am going. This is also a fact of life. You can’t plan everything. And a lot of people don’t know where they are going next.

Taylor Swift was right when she sang, “You will do greater things in life than dating the boy on the football team.”

And when people tell you college is some of the best years of your life, they aren’t kidding.

You will change. Always. Change is one of the few things that remains constant. So you might notice your friends have changed or you might get accused of changing. Your style might change, your taste in music, thoughts, opinions, and more. But that is fine. Who would want to remain exactly the same anyway? High school and college are huge grounds for change. Let yourself evolve, grow, and explore. And don’t feel like you need to apologize for it.

Please, please, please study abroad if you possibly can. I never did and I am still wishing I had.

You will not continue to be best friends with all of your best friends from high school. Luckily, technology and social networks can keep you updated on their lives. But it’s fine and normal if you aren’t close with every single one of them. You will make more friends in college too. And when you graduate, you won’t be as close with some of them either. But you can stay in touch from time to time. Some come in and out for seasons or lessons. Other’s might stick around forever and that is pretty cool.

Get involved. In high school and college. The benefits are endless.

Give Greek Life a consideration. It has changed people’s lives, but if it is not the right fit for you, don’t feel bad. There are other organizations and opportunities out there that can change your life too.

I don’t think many people will notice the breakout on your forehead, the scar on your leg, or the white mark on your tooth. Most of the time they are probably not paying attention or might be worried about their own flaws wondering if you have noticed them too! We all have them. But we don’t seem to notice them most of the time.

Always dance full-out at dance practice.

Don't not do something you enjoy doing because you think people will think it's uncool or nerdy. You most likely won't see them again years on down the road. Do what YOU love or what YOU think is right.

Try to speak up for others that might be getting bullied or picked on. None of it is cool. Strive to be kind to anyone and everyone because there are already enough mean people in the world.

Your super duper crush on the boy in the 7th grade will eventually fade. And when he likes your Facebook pictures ten years later, you won’t feel much of anything. So just cherish that one time you guys slow danced at the boy/girl party with sweaty hands and butterflies in your tummy. And smile.

Please don’t think something is the “end of the world.” It might be an end of a chapter or an era and can possibly be a new beginning and a lesson learned. Try to always turn anything negative into a positive. Maybe you didn’t get that job because there is actually a better one out there just around the corner. Turn a bad breakup into writing to help other girls. Possibilities are endless.

High school and college are tough, but enjoy every little bit of it. Because, why not?
 
Fondly,
Rachel Marshall
Sparkle&Shine.
@theglitterylife

No comments:

Post a Comment