Sunday, October 18, 2015

Sunday Sprinkle: Somewhere Out There

Somewhere Out There

            Standing on my balcony in Kansas
and the most I hear is the hum of a generator,
a couple random birds, and an obnoxious duck.
The quietest my life has been since I don’t even know.
            It’s a Saturday night, too.
My soul doesn’t know how to stand still like the tree I’m seeing.
In this quiet concrete moment, I know there are thousands
of people in stadiums watching a game. My soul can hear the bustle of traffic
and people trying to find a parking spot in the city. She can hear
the clank of dishes and glasses being served at ritzy restaurants and busy bars.
            Ah, the mood lighting.
Someone is tasting sweet wine on their lipstick lips.
And some guy has his eye on her.
But no drop of makeup on me tonight.
Instead of a tight short skirt that’s worn by ladies across the world,
            it’s tight yoga pants for me.
I may not be participating in the world tonight, but I wonder
if I’m running through someone’s thoughts or if my name is being said
            or sitting on someone’s tongue.
Is someone thinking about sending me a text,
but deleting it before they press send? Is someone wishing
I were right there next to them laughing and carrying on? Does someone want me
to tell them a story right now?
            Does someone’s bed feel empty?
Are my pictures being looked at and are my words being read?
I might not be out there tonight, but part of my soul is somewhere out there.
She’s out there as someone is having a first kiss and others are
stumbling out of bars drunk and getting into cabs.
            She’s out there.
Floating across time zones. She left me at home. She knows I need the rest.

post signature

3 comments:

  1. Pretty dope piece, as a single girl I can definitely relate to this, sometimes you need a break from hanging out to gather your thoughts. As you do, sometimes you wonder who's thinking of you. Your words really spoke into life so many thoughts. Thank you for writing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you could relate to this and I could speak some life into your thoughts! Your comment means a lot! Thank you so so much for reading. :)

      Delete
  2. Your pictures are being looked at, your words are being read -
    and when I read all the news articles related to the upcoming Super Bowl (in 2024 where the Kansas City Chiefs are playing and where Taylor Swift will perform) I will be thinking about you - trying to imagine all the thoughts and feelings you might be having.
    Taylor Swift has been much maligned of late, perhaps, in part, because she is standing up for women in a world that is too much in the hands of overly aggressive and abusive men.
    Wishing you all the best!

    My blog
    My YouTube
    My Twitter

    ReplyDelete