Thursday, October 11, 2012

I'm A College Kid

I am now in my Junior year of college and I feel as though I am finally evolving into a somewhat typical college kid that you see in the movies, hear about through stories, and read about in magazines. It's shining through in areas of my life.

T-shirts are consuming my closet with half to majority of them being free. There is an assortment of colors and I also have shirts from other colleges thanks to conferences I have attended. It's slowly becoming just about all that I wear lately. College t-shirts.

Instead of ramen noodles, I have now taken up eating the Velveeta easy mac type things you pop in the microwave just about every day. And now I love coffee and savor the moments I get to have it.  My bank account is even feeling like a college kid these days.

The last couple Sundays I have put in around 6 hours at the library.

Anna and I got excited when we were able to get $10 worth of quarters from Wal-Mart to last us a couple weeks to do laundry. We wouldn't have to scrounge our wallets for a little while.

Sometimes I can't help but admire the beauty of being here at college and getting to experience these things. The smallest little things. 

There are times where I am exhausted, when my days are just about planned down to the minute and my breaks are when I eat some lunch and dinner. Sometimes it gets to be overwhelming doing everything I do. I am getting used to people cringing when I tell them what my life entails. There times where I do get frustrated and overwhelmed. There are times I wish I could read a book or spend an afternoon watching netflix like other college kids, but I know this time is important and that it will be worth it. I was in a meeting just yesterday when a guy walked in and another guy asked him how he was and he said, "exhausted." I knew right then that I wasn't alone and that it is normal. I was in a meeting for people involved and that have titles in organizations on campus so we can work together and share what we are doing in our organizations. We can all relate.

I am going to cherish these moments because no matter how busy, rough, tired I can be, I know that I will look back at this time in my life later on and I know I will smile. I already smile.

Here is something I have been doing at school. Poetry :) I have been enjoying getting to explore and stretch myself when it comes to poetry. I whipped up this poem in about 10 minutes for an exercise we did in one of our books. It is about my planner. Those of you who know me pretty well know that it is a pretty important thing in my life!

My Planner
It keeps me in line
with its own lines
going straight on the page
like I am going straight to my future.

The wires bound the book
as it bounds me with a schedule
full of assignments, meetings,
appointments, work, and events.

Scattered scribbles fill the pages
just as my thoughts frill me.
They gently remind me what to do
and who to meet at exactly what time.

Pink pops from the page to add pizzaz,
to match my personality and add flavor to my life.
It reminds me to be me,
to be the girly me.


Sparkle & Shine,
Rachel

Most of the t-shirts. I have gotten more since this picture was taken!

No comments:

Post a Comment