Monday, September 8, 2014

The Small Things

Here we go.
A post that has been a long time coming. Ready?

I try to refrain from constantly posting about my experience with my body. I know quite a few people that are getting in shape and into fitness right now. I don't want to overwhelm you. But since this is a huge aspect in my life right now, something that a lot of people are into at the moment, and something I am proud of, I figured I would post about it.

I don't know how many times I have eluded to the time I started gaining weight and did a pageant at my heaviest I have ever been, but here is a picture to give you a visual. I cringed a little inside. I had already experienced signs that I was gaining and I wasn't fully confident in my own skin as much anymore. When I changed out of a shirt before work because I was self-conscious and not happy with the curves I was seeing, I knew something was going to have to change soon. That's not a normal thing for me.



So that's when changes began and they were small and gradual. Something I think a lot of people don't take into account when they are wanting to change their body. I don't think a 3 day program or a 21 day cleanse will help long term. There needs to be more that goes into it. I am NOT an expert and I am not perfect when it comes to this, but so far I feel as though I have learned some valuable things.

Ditching the icky stuff
I slowly started to change my diet. I started cooking more at my apartment when I was still in school. I ditched the mini tacos and pigs in a blanket meals I was having a lot the semester before. I gave up soda during lent so that would hold me accountable.

Slowly integrating the good stuff
I started working with a trainer from end of March to the beginning of May. Weekly, he would challenge me to do something new. This week try to drink more water (something I still struggle with). This week buy some Greek yogurt and try it out. This week add nuts to your diet. I wasn't expecting to completely do a 180 with my diet and stick to it. It's easy to give up that way.

Learning the ways of the weight room
GIRLS: It is GREAT to lift weights. You aren't going to look like a man. You might actually "tone up" faster than spending hours on the elliptical. I am so glad I got to work with my trainer in the weight room and start to feel comfortable with the weights. I still get a thrill going to the weight area wearing pink and gracing girly nail polish asking the guys, "Anyone using this?" and then getting to work. And who knew how much I would fall in love with squats?

A calorie is a calorie
I am thankful to have my good friend, Greg Farris, as a nutrition coach for the pageant. He has been schooling me on nutrition and also my workouts and what is best for me and my body. He has reassured me that, hey guess what, I can still have that sprinkled donut and eat out. It's about moderation and proportion. And that a calorie is a calorie. My fitness pal is a great site and app to use to track my daily intake.

Finding motivations
What keeps me going are goals and motivations. I used a dress I had bought and wanted to look good in by a certain date earlier this year. Now Miss Kansas USA is my huge motivation at the moment. I also think about my confidence when I feel and look good in outfits. Why are you doing it?

Challenge yourself & get creative
I did gymnastics growing up and my 8-year-old niece has been inspiring me to incorporate gymnastics into my workouts. I can do handstands again and they have improved and I recently was able to do a backbend by myself for the first time in years. I am considering doing some ballet to help with posture. I also want to work to get my splits and have challenged my mile time during my journey. Put some flavor into your fitness!

So what am I doing now?
  • I track my daily intake and put it into a spreadsheet that Greg has access to and checks in on me and my progress
  • I shoot to workout 3-4 times a week doing both weight lifting and cardio
  • On September 1st I gave up soda until the pageant with only a couple exceptions
  • On November 1st I will give up alcohol until the pageant with only one exception
Here they are: progress pictures!
January - August
January - August 
February - September 
March - September 
Definitely check out Greg Farris and his online coaching business, MyoBrain. His Facebook page can be accessed here Farris 4 Fitness and his website is here MyoBrain website
He posts articles about fitness and nutrition frequently and even has a youtube channel!

Also, huge thank you to Zane Guadagnolo, who was my trainer that taught me the weight room and more. He made a big impact on my workouts and made me more confident in the gym! ESU students should consider signing up for him at the rec!
I'll finish this post with a typical gym mirror pic in my new tank that simply says, I don't sweat, I sparkle. :)
Sparkle&Shine.
Rachel

You can keep up with my journey to Miss Kansas USA by "liking" my page Rachel for Miss Kansas USA! :)


2 comments:

  1. You're doing an awesome job and you're doing it the healthy way! People don't realize that the weight didn't come overnight so they shouldn't expect to lose it over night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You looked gorgeous in those photographs of you at Studio G Photography!
    Kudos for all your hard work, for finding motivation, and on your creativity!
    Your progress pictures are great, and I love the gym mirror photo of you
    wearing the pink 'I don't sweat, I sparkle' graphic tank top.

    My fashion blog Full Brief Panties
    My YouTube (misterpantybuns's channel) customer blouse and panty review videos
    My Twitter @Panty_Buns

    ReplyDelete