Sunday, July 8, 2012

3 Pennies

Last night, I went into work at 4:45pm and was scheduled to work until midnight. This was going to be my first night closing. I was also going to be working the dining room by myself. It was pretty hectic as we were busy pretty much the whole night. There was a guy that wasn't the best worker there that was working. He randomly asked me if I was Christian. I said, "yeah." Even though I am pretty sure I am still technically Catholic. Later on, he walked out. Quit. So we were short handed for the rest of the night. I didn't get a break the whole night. We worked straight through and were finally out around 11:30pm.

I had noticed as the night went on that I had not received any tips at all. I did find 3 pennies that were on a ledge by a table that a customer had abandoned so I stuffed them in my pocket. I am a firm believer that every penny counts. They really can add up if you save them! As the night kept progressing, I became even more aware that I was not getting any tips, which was a little unusual. It crossed my mind and I had a feeling that maybe there was a reason for it. Maybe something better was going to come my way. Maybe I was going to get a really generous tip from someone or someone would say something or do something that would touch my heart.

After finally getting off work, grabbing some McDonald's on the way home, and a refreshing shower, I got tucked in bed and did my nightly reading for my daily devotional book, The Confident Woman by Joyce Meyer. I opened it up to the date, July 7. The title of the day's devotional was "Stand With God." I read the opening passage at the top and then got to the devotional. The first paragraph read,
"When Mother Teresa (1910-1997) left for India to begin her mission work there, she was told she could not do it because she had no money and no one to help her. I was told she said she had three pennies and God, and that was all she needed."

I finished the passage, made sure my fish was fed, and turned off the light. I laid down and tried to get to sleep when I realized something. I had 3 pennies. That night at work, I had found 3 pennies and took them. I thought back to what Mother Teresa had said. She had three pennies and God, and that was all she needed. This couldn't be just a coincidence. Three pennies show up at work and then the devotional that night mentions three pennies and God. Those three pennies I found had to have been from God. 

I have been on a spiritual journey for over a year now and have been taking steps in furthering it. This summer I have been focusing on prayer and believing. I even attend a bible study/prayer group at my church on Thursday mornings. I am trying to strengthen my relationship with God. For me, it is sometimes hard to believe everything in the bible or what people say. When people say God talks to them or when I read parts in Eat, Pray, Love I couldn't help but wonder if it really happened. You hear stories, but I sometimes have trouble believing. And while on my spiritual journey, I have had trouble believing everything. Believing that He is really here and exists. But these three pennies are physical things that help me believe. He had to show me somehow and He did. I believe.

My thoughts and feelings were true, when I had a hunch that something great was going to happen. I am so excited about this and can't wait to share it in my bible study group on Thursday. I hope that this inspired you to believe as well. I am definitely keeping these three pennies as a reminder. A reminder that He exists and is there for me and that also just like Mother Teresa maybe all I really need is three pennies and God. These three pennies is the best tip I can ever get and it was from God.

Sparkle & Shine,
Rachel

The Three Pennies

No comments:

Post a Comment