Friday, February 1, 2013

Balancing as a Busy Bee

I'm in the car traveling again. Two weekends ago, I was in Toledo, Ohio. Tomorrow I will be on the road to St. Louis to see Lady Gaga in concert for the first time! The semester started off with a bang. I was going from sleeping in until 12:30pm and averaging 1-2 Dr. Peppers a day doing nothing over Christmas break to transition into one of the busiest weeks of my life. We had a two day Ambassador retreat, started school and I missed my classes Friday to catch a flight to Toledo for the national Blue Key conference. It was a beautiful university and I was able to make connections with students from University of Georgia to Kansas State University. I was voted to be a student representative for the national board. It's a two year deal. I was a little weary about it but I wanted to immerse myself in the organization and get Emporia's name out there while setting an example and bar for future members at ESU. I also had the ESU Blue Key alum who have contributed so much for us in mind. I thought this would be a way to give back. Plus, the board needed women representation. They were all guys!

My fashion blog partner and I have managed to get a post published already and even were featured in a large ad in The Bulletin!

I have an amazing Vice President committee in Ambassadors and they already have had so many great ideas for the banquet and the end of the semester! Their enthusiasm and great ideas makes me excited and proud to work with them!

We've had a BUILD Beauty meeting already and have one this coming Wednesday. We made "I Sparkle" boards. I loved one of the girls designs she did. The "I" in BUILD stands for "inspire others." And they sure do that for me. I made friends with people from K-State that is helping me get in contact with resources to better the organization there as well.

For Blue Key, I am on a committee that is putting on a leadership banquet at the end of the semester as well. We are recognizing 150 students that have changed lives at Emporia State. We plan to even award some scholarships that night too.

It's been becoming quite an experience planning two banquets and all the other programs and activities I'm involved in. It's still weird for me to grasp that I'm part of putting on these things that involves thousands of dollars.

I've been feeling more and more thankful, blessed and privileged to get to work with the people I do, the connections I've made and opportunities ESU has given me!

Last night, I was in power yoga class and I found that I really enjoy the balancing poses. I was so focused and steady balancing on one foot. I was in the zone. And I couldn't stop thinking about how comfortable I was with that. Now if only I could balance the other things in life. That's what I've struggled with since starting the semester. Balancing 3 leadership positions, 17 hours of class, 2 on campus jobs and everything in between. This busy bee will be a happy camper when she finds a good peaceful balance. I'll keep working at it and enjoy every minute and every person a part of it!

Thank you!

Sparkle & Shine,
Rachel













No comments:

Post a Comment