Friday, February 22, 2013

Make a Movement

If you want something to change, most of the time you need to do something to make it happen. Or at least get it started.

I was folding laundry and thinking about what we were going to be watching the next night at the BUILD Beauty meeting when I had an idea for a poem. I immediately wrote it down and started thinking about ways to phrase it just the way I wanted to because I wanted to post it in a picture. I wanted to make a bold statement. We watched Miss Representation at BUILD Beauty which is an amazing documentary about women being negatively portrayed in the media in numerous ways. I highly recommend it if you get free time. It is a great watch that should get you fired up about something. And it's on Netflix! It reassured me that it was okay to post the picture. So I did.

"Boys seem to care more about the numbers and letters that make up my bra size rather than the ones that make up my GPA. I've never been asked that before."
There is the picture! It didn't take long to spark some comments on Facebook. It was a good feeling seeing discussion on issues and seeing people thinking. It's a wonderful thing. Sometimes we don't talk about these things, but I think it can be good for us. It's even better when people talk about it to me face-to-face and not just through social media. It lets me know it can leave an impact and raise awareness for people. Simple awareness can be powerful.

So I don't want to stop there. I want to encourage people to post pictures with statements like I did to raise awareness about issues that deal with gender, stereotypes, relationships, self-esteem, assumptions, and the like. I don't know what I want to do with them just yet. I thought about making it into a collage, it's own blog post, inspiration for poetry, sparks for discussion in BUILD Beauty, and more. This is just the first step to a movement. Who knows where it can go and how big it can be. First thing is first and that is to take the first step and send in pictures!
Please feel free to tag me in it on Facebook so I can save it or email it to me at glitterandthegirlygirl@gmail.com.
You don't have to be a woman. Guys can participate too! You don't have to go to ESU. It can be anyone! Please be appropriate and kind. I don't want it to become an attack on anybody.
Thank you in advance and I encourage you to participate.

I had a discussion with someone about girls and boys. He talked about how there can be guys that talk about girls negatively and wonders how it can be changed. I told him it goes both ways. Girls can't simply blame boys for everything negative. We need to be able to stand up for ourselves and each other and speak up when boys may say/do something disrespectful. We also need to set an example and respect ourselves and each other. If we are okay with how things are and let things slide, that's when it gets worse. It goes both ways. So here's a chance to speak up.

I look forward to seeing pictures! Poetry in pictures. Believe in yourself, Un-do negative thinking, Inspire others, Live fully, Dream. :)

Sparkle & Shine,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment