Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Post Grad Life: The Next Chapter

Hi. I'm back from my little hiatus of finishing up my last semester of undergrad at Emporia State, graduating, and moving back to Kansas City. For those that might have missed the coming soon video, here is a little snipit of what has happened and what is to come! 

The last semester was a big one.
I competed in my first ever pageant on a huge whim at the largest I've ever been and most self-conscious I had ever been with my body. A boy I thought I liked hurt my feelings. And I was experiencing my first big criticisms for my opinion articles. I was learning not everyone is a fan of Rachel Marshall. I was strained and struggling physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Some shining moments happened like planning and executing the largest event I've ever done, being nominated as an Outstanding Senior, having 5 poems selected to be in Quivira (our student literary journal), and graduating with honors. And little did I know, someone would finally break me down and capture my heart after a lot of hard work, bumps in the road, and dates. Shouldn't be a surprise, I had become stingy with my heart.
                                                                             ...

So I've used the metaphor of a break up to describe the transition from college to the post grad life. It literally felt like it in my body as if I were going through a break up, but it wasn't with just one person. It was with a town that became a home, friends and colleagues that became like a family and dear to me, and a roommate I shared a room with for 3 years that knew me inside and out. Not to mention someone who I started to care about more and more. The last couple days, I was on edge holding in tears. I was taking clothes off hangers and I started balling. I couldn't eat on the day I moved out. It was the hardest chapter I've had to finish yet.
                                                                              ...

A new chapter begins though and it's already off to a fast start! I have poetry, stories, and things to tell you about. So be ready for regular posts and more to come! Be sure to follow "The Girly Girl" on Twitter @theglitterylife. I made it awhile back, but plan to utilize it more! And always feel free to give me suggestions or a heads up as to what you would like me to focus on or write about.

Sparkle & Shine.

Rachel
glitterandthegirlygirl@gmail.com
@theglitterylife


No comments:

Post a Comment