Thursday, March 29, 2012

An Aunt's Response

I had quite of few responses and reactions to my last post and I wanted to post a comment that my aunt had posted on here and another comment she had left on my Facebook page as well. This was something that I did not know about her past. It was really touching and there were some powerful things said. I can't help but share it. Please read and I hope that you can be impacted as well!

I'm Rachel's aunt Amy and I was bullied when I was 16 years old. No one would do anything about it to help me at the school...I got the standard, "Just ignore them and they will stop." The girl that was the instigator had a mom on the school board...go figure. Well, they didn't stop. They kept bullying me until I was in a deep depression and wanting to take my own life...I thought that was the only way to make it stop and have some peace. The final straw was one day when I went to school and someone had scratched, "Go kill yourself" into my locker. I never set foot in that school again. The moral of this story is, it WILL get better. It sucks and I know it is hard to go through, but life WILL go on and you WILL find happiness. I'm an old lad now...well, over 40 at least. :) Thank God, high school doesn't last forever! I changed schools for my junior and senior year and found happiness again. That is where I met Rachel's uncle, realized not all teenagers are as awful as the ones I had been dealing with at my other school, and found self-worth again. If you are being bullied ask for help. There is no shame in seeking help...you don't have to fight the bullies alone. And if you are a witness to bullying, don't stand by a let it happen...tell an adult. Hang in there girly girls, I promise it will get better. Love ya'll!


I left a comment on your blog Rachel. I was bullied in high school. The whole stupid thing was jealousy over a boy. I think it was the hardest thing I have ever been through, harder than fighting cancer. My prayers go out to all the kids dealing with this right now. There are too many suicides and school shootings happening and when you find out the root cause it is always the same thing...the poor kid was being bullied. We HAVE to stand up for these kids. If you are a teen and see someone being bullied, tell an adult...schools are much more aware of bullying now than when I went through it. Standing by and watching it happen is as bad as being a bully yourself. This is just so close to my heart. Good job with your post...it may save a life!



Sparkle & Shine,
Rachel 

No comments:

Post a Comment