Friday, August 24, 2012

Happiness Journal

About a month ago, I was watching an Elizabeth Gilbert interview she did with Oprah. She talked about a new thing that she started doing every day and that was writing in a happiness journal. She would write down in a journal of things that made her happy that day. She pointed out, why focus on the bad, the negative? That stuff just brings you down. I was intrigued by that idea and it was that day that I found my own journal that would be my own happiness journal. It was almost as if I was meant to do this. It was weird because I was in the journal section at Target and I stumbled across this one that was by itself, the last one. As if it were meant for me. I knew it was just from reading what it said on the front.
It is perfect because I would be writing about things that make my day bright and a lot of you know that "sparkle" is a word that I kind of own for myself. Something that people associate me with. There was no doubt that I had to get this and it would be my happiness journal. I started it that night and with an introduction. I took a picture of it and shared it on Instagram and Twitter. I had feedback and one girl said she was inspired to do it so she can look back at it and see what she was doing in her life then and what not. It is a nice way to see what you were doing at that time in your life and what was making you happy then.
I have written in it every night since I have gotten it. I don't really write everything out in sentences. I just list things out, but not in a list form. It's in prose form almost. Sentences, half sentences, words. Short thoughts and things that made me happy. It is a nice way to reflect over the day and see all that I have done and actually how many things made me happy. It adds up. You will see in the picture in the bottom if you are able to read it, that I mention that I might learn some things about myself just by doing this and I kind of already have. I have learned that people are an important thing in my life. I value the people around me. All the conversations, phone calls, texts, skype dates, and bonding moments. I mention a lot of people and things I do with people. I found that interesting.
I encourage you to get a happiness journal and to see what you come up with. It is nice to focus on the good and by doing this, you revisit that happiness, which can only be a positive thing that can enrich your life. One journal that was at Target said, "We write to taste life twice..." - Anais Nin. I find that true in a way. With this you can taste that happiness twice when you write it and maybe even three, four, or five more times if you go back and visit it. If you have a bad day or going through a tough time, this can be another tool to help you get through that. It is a reminder of things that have made you happy before. It can help you revisit that.
Let me know if you start one and how it goes. It is a neat thing to experience.

Sparkle & Shine,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment