Sunday, August 5, 2012

Homesickness & Excitment

As school was coming to an end, all anyone could talk about was how excited they were for summer. I felt like I was the only one that didn't really have excitement for it. At the time I had no idea what I was going to do about a job. I didn't really have any plans or anything. I felt like there wasn't much for me to be excited about. I was content with being at school and being busy all the time and doing things I love. I was the oddball.

The first few weeks of summer was weird. I didn't have a job, school, or meetings to attend. Nothing. I was going day by day. I watched a lot of Sex and the City and got to visit with a lot of friends and family in between sleeping in and going to the gym. It was a foreign feeling to me, but was much needed.

As time progressed over the summer, I was surprised at how much I was enjoying my summer. I was relaxing for once, doing things I wanted, seeing people I hadn't in a long time and growing closer to friends and family. I definitely strengthened my bonds with people this summer which has been really important to me.

As I was going over my schedule for August with my mom, walking her through all the places to be and things to do, she decided for me to not come home after my trip to Indianapolis and for me to just stay at school until labor day weekend which isn't until September. At that moment my heart dropped a little. I had this wave of emotion in my chest go through me. It was like it was anxiety or a shot of homesickness. I have spent so much time with my family and close friends, that it was weird to think I wouldn't see them for atleast 3 weeks when I would see them at least three times a week. As it is getting closer, it is getting a little tough. This morning at church I hugged my pastor and he asked when I was leaving for Emporia. I said, "tomorrow." Hearing it out loud hit me. I will miss going to church ever Sunday and bible study after week, but I will get to when I can.

It is a bittersweet thing. I live this unique life right now during college. I have home here in Kansas City, but Emporia has become a home to me too. I probably easily live there more than I do in Kansas City in a span of a year. I live both and I have so many beautiful people in both places. I don't know if I could be more blessed. Thankfully I have the technology. I have calls, texts, emails, Facebook, Twitter and Skype to keep updated and connected with everyone. I have hints of homesickness looming in me, but excitement for the upcoming weeks to come is shining too.

I am glad to have a great summer. It treated me well. I am so excited for what is to come. There are so many great things about to happen and I will be sure to keep you filled in. :)

Sparkle & Shine,
Rachel
 

No comments:

Post a Comment