Thursday, November 1, 2012

Practice What You Preach & Follow

I've noticed that I have been more aware of what I do and how I want to lead by example. In Ambassadors, being part of the exec board, we try to stress leading by example. We took an oath in the Blue Key Honor Society to lead by example and being founder of BUILD Beauty, I definitely have found myself trying to do that. Now it has even crept into my fashion since becoming a writer for a fashion blog for Emporia State's newspaper. (You can see it on esubulletin.com!) My last post for it had helped me to wear a scarf I had gotten over summer and have been waiting to break out!

In my persuasive speech I gave this morning in class, I had encouraged my class to vote in the election. I officially mailed in my first ballot soon after class. I was so happy and felt grown up voting for the first time. I wasn't old enough the last election and I was glad I went through the advanced voting process so I could participate still while being away for college. 

This made me think about how I try to lead by example and practice what I preach. If I am going to tell the class to vote, I should vote too. If I am going to tell girls to wear scarves in my fashion blog, I should probably wear scarves too. If I am trying to get girls to believe in themselves, I should believe in myself too. There really can be a magical and powerful thing to practice what you preach. You should try to think of areas where you can be a leader or an example and what you can do to practice that. 

                                                                    
                                                                           &&&

If you have read past posts, you may know I am into poetry. I am working on a poetry project in my Seminar of Creative Writing class and I am also taking a poetry writing class as well. So this semester I have been really delving into it, exploring and broadening my poetry. Definitely trying new and different things. I feel like there are a lot of times things will come to me or while I am in  moments and situations I try to think of how they would fit into a poem. For some reason, the word, "follow" has been lurking in my brain for awhile lately. So I finally did something about it in class today when I was bored. The first lines that were coming to mind were, "follow your heart" and "follow your faith." So I went with it and let it take me through this poem. I ended up playing with words, patterns, and humor. It even got me thinking how it could comment on society in a way. I thought it was cool that I hadn't had this intention in mind. That it just happened to work out that way. That's a beautiful thing about poetry and writing. So here it is. I guess I should call it follow? It would probably be the thing to do.

Follow

Follow your faith
Follow your heart
Follow your dreams
Follow me on Twitter

Strengthen your faith
Guard your heart
Believe your dreams
But, follow me on Twitter

Practice your faith
Exercise your heart
Chase your dreams
But, follow me on Twitter

Never lose your faith
Never close your heart
Never quit your dreams
But, really follow me on Twitter

For real, though.
You can follow me @rachelnmsparkle

                                                                             &&&

Sparkle & Shine,
Rachel 

P.S. Don't forget to vote!
P.P.S. You should check out One Republic's "Feel Again" music video. I am a tad bit obsessed with it and wish I was at the place in the video. I also find the singer attractive. The song makes me want to dance and sing. :)








No comments:

Post a Comment