Monday, November 12, 2012

Revision


Revising is not my favorite thing to do when it comes to writing. I usually like to get it mostly done the way I want and then don't make very many changes after. If I do make changes to a poem, it is simple changes like cutting a word here or there, switching lines around, or changing a line or two. Now that I am taking poetry class and my project for my creative writing seminar is poetry, I have had to learn to revise. 

I have never been so obsessed with perfecting a poem as much as I have been with a poem I wrote called, "City Lights." I shared it with you guys when I first wrote it back in August. It's probably been through at least 5 other drafts as I have work shopped it in both of my classes getting feedback from my fellow students in my classes and two professors. I even had the chance to submit a poem for a visiting poet to look over and I got to sit down with him one day and talk it over and take the critiques he had written down too. It was a neat opportunity! His name is William (Bill) Sheldon. You can look him up on Google! A Kansas poet and author.

So I wanted to share the latest draft. I looked back at what I had posted on here and it is amazing how much it has changed! Oh, the beauty of writing, words, and revision. 

This is the original first draft.
City Lights
It's a whirlwind night
Surrounded by 
City lights
Strings of them
Wrapped in limbs of trees
Twinkle
A beautiful monument
Makes it a romantic
Place where I'm glad to be
In this unfamiliar city
The hum of cars pass
By on the brick roads
Of the round about
Conversations float in the air
From people walking around
And I'm enjoying the company
Of a boy from LA
That just bought me ice cream
From a shop across the way
We indulge
We chat
As we sit on the ledge
We pass flirting
Now on the edge
Of a crush
When I so easily blush
He spits out the chocolate chips
Because he only likes the mint
We talk school
We talk religion
He plays it cool
Makes it a mission
To pick on me
To get closer to me
Like any boy that plays games
It was today I learned his name
As I stand before him
I slip my arms around his neck
Our pauses
Longer
Knowing what's next
It's right
It's now
We don't make a sound
We both ease in
To a perfect first kiss
For a perfect moment
On a whirlwind night
Surrounded by city lights

The latest draft.
City Lights
It’s a whirlwind night surrounded
by city lights,
strings of them wrapped in limbs of trees
twinkle.
A beautiful monument makes it romantic
in this unfamiliar city.
Cars pass by on brick roads
of the roundabout.
Conversations float in the air
from people walking by.
And I‘m with a 
a boy from UCLA
that just bought me ice cream
from a little shop
across the way.
It was today I learned his name,
Turner.
We take a seat on a ledge
and pass the flirting,
now on the edge
of a crush.
He spits out the chocolate chips
because he only likes the mint.
We talk school
and we talk religion.
The first Mormon I’ve come across.
He plays it cool and makes it a mission
to pick on me,
to get a little closer.
I slip my arms around his neck,
our pauses become longer.
It’s right.
Its’ now.
We don’t make a sound.
We both ease in
to that first little kiss
We smile,
and kiss
again and again.
My hands explore his hair,
bleached from the sun.
His hands pull me closer
and I become undone.
People pass
and time keeps going
without neither of us noticing.


Sparkle & Shine
Rachel 


No comments:

Post a Comment