Thursday, January 30, 2014

Pageant Positives



I was sitting in our Ambassador retreat touring training when I got a message from an Ambassador Alum on Facebook letting me know about an opportunity to compete in the Miss Flint Hills/Lyon County pageant. I looked into it and saw that it was going to be taking place that next weekend. I went ahead and got in contact with one of the directors in the midst of changing flights and traveling to and from Fargo, North Dakota over the weekend. Next thing I know, Monday night I came out of my room and asked my roommate what she was doing Saturday night because I was going to be competing in my first pageant.

Let me tell you, prepping for a pageant in less than a week is a tad overwhelming. Especially when it’s your first one. At this point, I was close to pasty white and the heaviest I’ve ever weighed in my life. It was just the week before when I had started to really buckle down on my diet and exercise. So this was going to be a challenge. I tanned every day that week in one of the best beds they had to offer. I continued to cut back on the pop and junk food as well. I was getting my nails done Friday night and Saturday morning I was dropped off at the Granada Theater by my roommate. I spent the whole day there rehearsing and practicing until the big show at 7pm.

But here is what I am really getting at. I had no idea what to expect. I went in a little scared due to my experience watching TV and movies that give pageant life such a negative stigma. Was I about to spend a whole day with caddy girls that would make my self-esteem lower? Was I about to be in over my head?

The overall experience took me by surprise because I found myself being brave and feeling empowered. Some people actually laughed when I told them I was about to do a pageant, but I decided to do it anyway. I wanted the experience and to have fun. I even chose to read my own poetry as my talent rather than the usual song or dance routine. Hearing the girls laugh at my funny poem during rehearsals, telling me they wish they could do something like poetry and that I am funny was a great feeling that built my confidence.

Yes, this pageant was the whole nine yards and yes, I did do the swimsuit competition. This was the thing I was most nervous about. I even went into this with people that I had talked to that said they wouldn’t be able to do that. But I did it. And let me tell you, that was probably the most empowering thing of all. Being brave enough to go out there knowing I am about to be judged, but owning what I got anyway. There were other girls that had the same nerves as me. I wasn’t alone. After I stepped backstage, I felt a high and I asked one of the girls, “Did I really just do that?” This is the irony and the weird thing because we as viewers will judge these girls and some may ridicule them for doing it, but I found myself happy I did it because it takes guts and it left me feeling empowered and a little more comfortable in my own skin. And that is something that I probably needed at that time.

We’ve been on the audience side time and time again when we watch pageants on TV. People probably wondered why I did it since I did create BUILD and on the surface you think that this goes against my overall message. But being on the other side of it and looking at it in a different frame, I found it has its benefits for women. I got to practice my interviewing skills, public speaking, stage presence and more. Not to mention my self-confidence and self-esteem were tested. I also had a great time getting to know the other girls competing. We had fun joking around. I also loved getting all pretty and dressing up. Because as this blog is titled, I am a girly girl so I appreciate anytime I have an excuse to dress up and look good! I was really surprised and taken back when I realized I actually kind of had a blast with this experience. I knew I would need to share this with you all. I’m probably not going to go on and become a pageant girl, but I am glad I was able to experience it for a day none the less.

Thank you to everyone that helped me out and prepare in such a short notice. Shout out to Midas Touch tanning for being great and getting me tan in time! Always thankful for my family’s support. I was glad I had family members in the crowd because not all the girls had that. Also, my friends that came to support too! Thank you all for the positive vibes you sent my way. 
And I have found I will forever be thankful for Tina Fey and her peanut joke in her book, Bossypants. I definitely used that joke on a whim in my interview and it made the judges laugh. That’s what I love to do. Make people laugh. 

Sparkle & Shine.
Rachel
Got a quick pic with Miss Kansas before I left!

No comments:

Post a Comment