Saturday, August 2, 2014

Rachel Nicole Marshall

Hi, my name is Rachel Nicole Marshall and I got a picture with Rachel Nicole Marshall. I am not typing about a selfie either.

Confused?

In March 2007, I was 15 and received a messaged randomly on Facebook by Rachel Marshall. She told me that we have the “same government name.” Even down to our middle name. Spelled the same too. She was 18 at the time.

Over time, we have had fun telling each other “happy birthday” on Facebook, getting confused when we like each other’s stuff, letting others think we like our own things, and completely getting people mixed up when we start commenting on each other’s posts back and forth. It doesn’t help that we resemble each other, both sporting brunette hair and gracing brown eyes. Not to mention about the same body shape too. She is from Michigan and we have gone all these years as “Facebook friends.” We finally met this week for the first time 7 years later and I guess you can say we are actually friends without Facebook tacked before it. She was in town for a business trip and asked me if I would be willing to finally meet. Both of us, I think deep down wondered if we were actually who we say we are online. Because, you know, that is a thing.

I would have to say it was an amazing experience to see her in person for the first time and not in a picture online. We sat at Chicago’s bar, had a drink, and just chatted. And it didn’t feel weird. We even tried to have fun and show people our I.D.’s because we thought it was cool. And who would have thought that we also share an addiction and love for nail polish? She organizes hers too!

As we sat there chatting, we had to marvel at the world and how fascinating social media can be and how it can bring two strangers like us together. And even more; two girls who share such a big part of our identities, our full names.

I am glad I was able to finally meet Rachel Marshall. I feel like we are connected in a way. Kind of like sisters somehow; awkwardly. And I am confident we will keep up on each other’s lives through Facebook just as we have done all these years. :)

Never a dull moment.

Sparkle & Shine,

Rachel Nicole Marshall

No comments:

Post a Comment