Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The Worst-Case Scenarios

Have you already brainstormed and mapped out your plan of action if Michael Meyers from the Halloween movies just came busting through your house tonight? Do you watch scary movies and think you would have reacted better and would be a little smarter in the decision making process while being chased down by the monster?


Sometimes we imagine those worst-case scenarios and we may ponder what we would do if they were to come true. Read through a couple of my ridiculous and slightly hilarious worst-case scenarios.

The Taco Bell Drive Thru
One morning into early afternoon, I had been cleaning my room and getting things done when I finally remembered I needed to grab something to eat for lunch. I was wearing Victoria’s Secret PINK pajama pants with the word PINK stretching across my butt. I also graced a sweatshirt and a really messy bun. I slipped on cheetah-print rain boots. I figured I am just going through the drive thru. Who is really going to see?

I had already placed my order at Taco Bell and was waiting in a long line in the drive thru. This was slow moving. I looked down at my dashboard to see the gaslight had made an appearance. I was sitting on that E.

Then I looked at my phone. I was at 4%.

Let the thoughts come rolling in.

It began with: what if I run out of gas in the middle of this taco bell drive thru with these people in front and back of me? What if I am driving home and I run out of gas? One thought was that at least I would have tacos to chow down on while I waited for help.

But what if my phone at 4% dies when I try to contact my parents? Part of me wanted to try to send a text to my mom to say, “Heads up, if I don’t come home after awhile, assume I ran out of gas so just come find me somewhere on the way to Taco Bell.” But that would take away from my battery life. I needed to save as much as I can!

And then the ultimate thought came.

If I ran out of gas and my phone dies while I am on the road back home, I would have to walk somewhere to ask for help and maybe a phone to call home. That’s when it dawned on me.

I was wearing pajama pants with PINK glittering across my butt and cheetah print rain boots. This would be my luck. This would be the worst-case scenario. A-trifecta-of- embarrassment. Maybe this was the perfect set up and it indeed would happen.

Luckily, none of that happened.
But the suspense made for a fun wait in line.

Funny scenarios happen on road trips. Read on about our hotel fire experience! 
A Hotel Fire

It was a Sunday morning approximately around 9:30am in a hotel room in Oklahoma City. Kirsten lying in bed passing the time on her phone while Anna and I were still deep asleep. I was in the middle of weird dreams. I was dreaming that Kirsten was trying to buy my evening gown I wore in Miss Kansas USA.

Suddenly, there was a loud buzzing. And then a light started flashing. An automated voice sounded informing there was an emergency in the hotel. My eyes quickly opened and my body immediately got out of bed. It was the automatic reaction that was conditioned in me from the dorms my freshman year of college when we were woken up every night during finals week by fire alarms being pulled.

“What are you taking?! I am taking all of my stuff!” Kirsten asked in a frazzled voice as I could hear her stuffing her belongings into her bag.

“Uh, I – uh, I think I am just going to take my purse,” I said still trying to fully wake up and use my mind. I grabbed my pink purse.

I kept looking around for something to throw over me and my Katy Perry t-shirt. I wasn’t wearing a bra.

And neither was Anna.

The buzzing kept going and the message that there was an emergency in the hotel still sounded.

“I am going to see if there are other people leaving,” I explained as I walked to the door and popped my head out looking back and forth down the hall.

As I went back to my things, it stopped. It became quiet. Kirsten opened the door to the hallway and a lady with a clipboard said everything was fine.

It was a quick minute of confusion and panic.

We were informed as we were checking out that it was too much hairspray that had triggered their laser system that made it go off.

But as we discussed the moment and laughed over the situation in the car, we realized how ridiculous we were in the moment and the possible mistakes we were about to be make.

Kirsten had claimed she had packed just about everything, even down to her shampoo, but had forgotten her phone charger. So, if the place had really burned down or something disastrous, she possibly could have had a dead phone, but at least her hair would smell good.

I realized I had grabbed my purse, but my ID, debit card, and cash were actually in my smaller purse I had taken out with me on the town the night before. I hadn’t put them back in my purse. So I would have been ID-less with no money.

And Anna and I would have continued to be braless.

We laughed at the brief random moment of panic and continued our road trip.
 …

Ever have those ridiculous worst-case scenarios? Share your stories in the comments section!

No comments:

Post a Comment