Sunday, August 9, 2015

Sunday Sprinkle: Charmed Drawings

This poem is an old favorite of mine. I wrote it as an exercise and practice for myself while I was taking poetry classes in college. It's an imitation poem of Kim Addonizio's "A Childhood" from her book, Tell Me. The lines follow a specific ABCD pattern and are repeated in different ways. It was really fun to follow such a narrow structure with repetition while trying to show a story. 

Charmed Drawings

We walked home under the stars
after a late night at the bars.
He charms me
the way he always does.

After a late night at the bars
people let their bodies and mouths run free
the way he always did.
I don’t know what draws me to him.

People let their mouths run free.
I have to figure out what to believe
and what draws me to him.
He weakens me.

I try to figure out what to believe.
I wonder if he even likes me.
He weakened me
and I decide to go home with him.

I wonder if he even likes me.
I kiss him anyway.
After all, I went home with him
because I’m drawn to him.

I kiss him anyway
because he charmed me
because he knew I’m drawn to him
when we walked home under the stars.


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment