Sunday, August 2, 2015

Sunday Sprinkle: Redecorate

This piece is from November 2013. I remember the process of creating this. It took a weekend to crank this out and the whole time drafting and revising, I only listened to Say Something by A Great Big World featuring Christina Aguilera. I like thinking about the writing process and the weird things that spark our creativity. It's also fascinating how a song can put a visual in your mind and heart through your ears. 

Redecorate 

I sit alone with my knees to my chest.
Sitting alone in my heart. It’s big.
And it’s turning cold.
The posters of my past hang on its walls.
They’re starting to crumple & peel away too.
It’s silent. Colors fading.
It feels empty. I’m empty.
I look around at the dust.
The sea of gray all over.
The floor is worn from the people that have come through.
I graze it with my hand thinking about all the possibilities we had
and the moments that made me believe it might be something.
Hurt shows up too.
I throw one of their t-shirts across the room.
It slides against the floor.
I watch it go away like they all did.
I lay down on my side and let my head touch the holy ground.
I forgot it was okay to cry here.
I had almost forgotten how to.
I let go. I let them all go.
I’m waiting for someone to knock.
I’m waiting for someone to stay.
Someone to help me redecorate.


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment