Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Zoiks!

A couple weeks ago, I auditioned for our improv group on campus. I have been wanting to do it pretty much ever since I found out about them my first semester as a freshman. I was on the fence about it, but reminded myself that it is all about taking chances now. What the heck, might as well and see what happens. Put myself out there!
I went and tried my best and had fun with it too. I probably cussed as much as I have the last 3 years combined in the 2ish hour span I was there. Hey, it was for humor and I didn't mind letting loose a bit. Plus, part of it was for a game we played, so I didn't have much choice in the matter!
I didn't make the cut, but it was okay. I tried! I was told by one of the Zoiks! members that's in advanced fiction writing class with me that I had originally made the first cut for call backs but they had to dwindle it down a little more and took it to a vote. I was then cut, but he told me I did good and should try out next semester. Who knows, might as well try again, right?
But I think what touched me the most out of the whole experience of auditioning for Zoiks! was another person that auditioned as well. There was a freshman boy who is handicapped and that has disabilities that tried out in his wheel chair and all. Just that alone makes me admire him for trying out even when he may not be as capable to do things that other people can do. He did really well and what he could which was inspiring.  My favorite part about him was at one point one of the Zoiks! members that was conducting the auditions was poking fun at him (not in a bad way) and he told him, "you can make as many crippled jokes as you want and I will laugh my ass off." The Zoiks! member replied and said "good because they're going to keep coming." It was all in good humor. It was amazing to see that this guy can embrace his condition, poke fun at himself, and have a sense of humor about it all. It doesn't seem like he lets his disabilities and wheel chair hold him back.
Like I said before, I had been on the fence about trying out. After that experience and seeing him give it his all and talking with him, it really made me not feel bad that I didn't make it and was instead glad I did it. He didn't make it either, but I don't think he was upset at all. I think he had fun too. Now I think about how courageous and brave he was to put himself out there and that I should do the same. It makes me thankful that I have the capabilities to do great things and I shouldn't waste that. He didn't hold back even when he already has things holding him back. I have no excuse. It was so inspiring and I am thankful to have had that experience. If I hadn't gone, I wouldn't have had it!
Sparkle & Shine,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment