Sunday, November 9, 2014

Silly 'Single Sucks' Scenarios

I stumbled across an article someone had shared on Facebook entitled, “7 Reasons Why Being Single Actually Sucks” and I had to see what this article had to say.

Let me first mention, the tone of it reminded me of the pessimistic girls that usually tweet too much about how single they are. I read through the 7 reasons and the explanations for them and I believed girls who still haven’t learned and accepted being single and the value it can bring wrote this. The immaturity blaring throughout the article alone was a sign that maybe they needed to learn some things before they expected to have a significant other.

I went over 2 years straight being single during college. I’ve lived and breathed single life. Heck, I am doing it now. So here we go. Here are the reasons why it sucks to be single (apparently) and if you want to read their explanation, you can find it here: 7 Reasons Why Being Single Actually Sucks

1.     Nobody to cuddle with – Yeah, I know it sucks sometimes. Some days there are times I wish I had someone to cuddle with, but I am still living and breathing.
2.     Nobody to help in times of sudden need – What are family and friends for?
3.     No wild passionate sex – Eh, yeah, that might be nice, but again, still living and breathing.
4.     No one would notice if you’re dead – I think my friends and family would notice.
5.     No one to force your emotional breakdowns on – That’s horrible to do anyway. I don’t think a boyfriend would appreciate that in the first place?
6.     No one to try new things with – You can’t do that with friends? Or just yourself?
7.    Valentines day, Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving – Again, I am glad I have family and friends. Didn’t think I needed a boyfriend to enjoy those holidays.
Just some single humor :)
I definitely know the trials and tribulations of being single. 
For example: This last New Year's Eve a couple of my lady friends and I wanted to actually go out and attend a New Years Eve celebration because we never had before (oh my gosh, I would be trying something new and without a boyfriend! Amazing stuff, right? #6 from article). So we found an event at a bar we had never been to. (Would like to point out I lived through another holiday without a boyfriend too. #7 from article). The place was filled with couples galore. The chance of us getting to chat it up with a single guy was very slim, but we were looking good, had drinks, and enjoyed each other's company. And when it hit midnight, we were surrounded by the place full of couples doing the traditional kiss. My two friends and I looked at each other in the middle of the dance floor, chuckled, and did a group hug. It's an event that I will remember down the road. I didn't have to be in a bad mood because I was single. I chose to have fun with a couple of my best friends instead!

Yes, there are some tough times and some situations are a little harder to get through as a single person, but there is some beauty in the thought that you can get through those moments all by yourself and that you can actually do things without having to have another person there. And it is definitely not healthy to hold stock in someone to provide everything for you whether it’s emotionally, physically, financially and more. It just might be a little too much pressure.


I encourage these single ladies to do some learning and soul searching and I recommend reading The Single Woman by Mandy Hale for those ladies that struggle with the label of being single. Also, here is a throwback to my first article I wrote for my opinion column at ESU last year about being single: Single & Fabulous. Use this time to get to know yourself, spend time with family and friends, and have fun. Let’s try to ditch the negative single stigma and keep grooving. J

Still single & fabulous,
Rachel
Sparkle&Shine.

"Throw your hands up at me!"
Independent Women, Pt. I - Destiny's Child

No comments:

Post a Comment