Sunday, November 23, 2014

[Ten]

Ten. 10. TeN.
A number I have written many times. A number I have been striving to conquer multiple times. A number I finally defeated [this time].

Isn't there this unwritten thing in the world where it seems like just about any girl would love to lose 10 pounds?

It seems like throughout college, I would attempt this goal over and over. I would go through phases. Freshman year was all about proving that "Freshman 15" wrong. Sophomore year, I did lose that 10 and maybe a little more, but not on my own circumstances. It wasn't healthy. Then I tried to prevent gaining it back and that didn't work. I have worked with trainers at ESU and I always seemed to put "lose 10 pounds" as a goal. New Year's resolutions encompassed it too.

This year, I started a "healthy journal" and wrote my goals in the front page. "Lose 10+ pounds by graduation" was my top goal. And I still didn't make it. But I did make progress and that felt amazing.

I mentioned in my post, The Small Things, how I had been my heaviest in January and how I actually was starting to feel self-conscious in outfits. That wasn't normal to me. So I knew I had to make a change and I did. I used a dress I got for a banquet and graduation as motivators when I first started. And then part of the reason I applied for Miss Kansas USA, was to continue that motivation.

I have learned so much about my diet and exercise this year and have pushed myself in many ways. I did a full hour on the treadmill! Something, I would definitely dread in the past. Pushups aren't too hard anymore either. :)
I've also been wearing clothes I didn't think I would ever wear. A crop top and skirt?! It's been fun getting creative and outside my fashion comfort zone.

Greg has been a huge help in this process and we had a good conversation about why he enjoys the process of preparing for a competition. He has control over his body. He controls what he eats and what he does. It's all you. I am at the one that gets myself to the gym and pushes myself. Even if it's raining. Or cold. Or my bed would feel better. And I am the one that has to turn down the temptations [which I have indulged a few times].

My body feels great and I have adopted new habits that I hope to keep up. I've reached a new confidence that I hold close. And I am so glad to [finally] achieve something I've failed at time and time again and on my own dang circumstance! It's a good example to keep going and proves I can do something if I put my mind to it and work at it. Rome wasn't built in a day, right?

Special shoutout to Nicole for being an awesome workout partner these last few [tough] weeks!
I've seen quite a few girls I know trying to achieve similar goals. Keep it up! It is possible. :)

Sparkle&Shine.
[And sweat.]
Rachel

Thanks to Danielle for the kitty pic :)

No comments:

Post a Comment