Sunday, April 15, 2012

Beauty Peace Day - April 11, 2012

We had our second Beauty Peace Day at ESU! It was a pretty good success and I loved it all. Reflecting over it, it amazes me. Beauty Peace Day was what SEVENTEEN magazine came up with last year in their magazine and it was that article that I had read over spring break that had started it all. It is fascinating to think that it hasn't even been a full year since BUILD Beauty was officially recognized and we are going to be having our BUILD beauty birthday party at our president's house that his wife is hosting and I am already working with a friend from high school to start BUILD at K-State. I've thought about expanding and having BUILD Beauty at other colleges and universities. It kind of blows my mind that it is already happening barely a year into it while I am just a sophomore. I am anxious now to see how the next couple years go, where it takes me, and where BUILD will be.

The day was great. We got our shirts in right on time so we were able to wear them. They turned out great as well! We went makeup free for the day to celebrate our natural beauty! We had girls post pictures on Facebook and on our Facebook event. There were even girls from other colleges that I know that participated as well. It was cool to see that support!

There was a girl in particular that also works in the Admissions office that was pretty nervous about going makeup free for the day. She usually always has eyeliner and mascara on at least. She was pretty anxious and nervous to go makeup free and go to her classes. I came to work and she was wearing her BUILD shirt and 100% makeup free! I was so proud of her. She was also self conscious about going to the Zumba event that night as well, but she still went, didn't complain, and ended up having a lot of fun! She felt great and felt accomplished by going through with the day.

During our meeting, we had a discussion about makeup. The majority of the girls at the meeting do not usually wear makeup anyway so I asked them why they choose not too. A couple of them said they were just too lazy to do it every morning but there were a couple other answers that intrigued me. One of them said she  chooses not to because she doesn't know very many ways to put it on. So when a special occasion comes a long, she would be wearing the same style of makeup like any other day and there wouldn't be a difference. So she chooses not to wear makeup and just wear it on special occasions. Probably the most interesting point was that one girl said that she feels if she wears makeup everyday, people will get used to seeing her that way so when she would want to go makeup free, she feels that they wouldn't think she was pretty when she is all natural.

This semester I have been wearing makeup pretty much everyday. I just feel professional and classy when I do wear it. I think with everything I am involved in and wear I work, it is almost necessary for me to wear it. Also, I am a believer that when you look good, you feel good! So it is cool to hear everyone's opinion and their views about makeup. What do you think about it? How often do you wear it and why?

Sparkle & Shine,
Rachel

Anna & I

Professor Webb & I

BUILD Beauty girls!


Nadia & I. This is the lovely lady that faced her fears!


No comments:

Post a Comment