Monday, April 30, 2012

Dad

Recently I have been thinking a lot about my dad. Things keep coming up that make me think of him and as I am growing older and learning, I am realizing how great of a person he really is, how thankful I am to have him, and how I don't show it enough.


I was at my sister's house a couple weekends ago and she brought him up and told me how she wanted to ask him to walk her down the aisle at her wedding. Tears came to me because I was hoping that he could have that honor. I had the honor of witnessing her ask him the question later that night. 


He was 21 years old when I was born and my mom already had my brother and sister. He took them under his wing and was there for them just like he was their dad. He took my sister to track practice, shoe shopping and taught my brother how to drive. I am 20 right now and to think of what all he was doing just a year older than me is pretty amazing. 


Lately, I have been reminded of things he would do when I was younger and there are things that I have cherished lately. He used to take me to practices, pick me up from them too and take me to volleyball games. He loves his music and would "pump me up" for whatever occasion whether it was practice, a game, anything. The music would be anything from Metallica, Alanis Morrissette, Jewel, to Tupac. He always had some musical selection to do the job. As I drove myself to the Ambassadors meeting in which I ran for President in the elections, I was wishing he was there to drive me and "pump me up" with his music. I've wondered what he would have played. 


"Clocks" by Coldplay was on the radio and I told Anna that he would play the piano on the dashboard and I did it just like he does. 


Not long ago, I was at home for the weekend and I was relaxing in my room. He came in and gave me the "Hardy Marshall Handshake" in which he made up himself that he does with people, chatted for a minute, and then went to my door told me to root for the Royals and left. It's those random times that I like. 


I can't believe it has taken me this long in this post to explain that he is the most proud parent in the world! He tells everyone about my accomplishments and sometimes he will tell them twice on accident. Mom and I joke around that people at work probably dread him coming along because they know he is going to have something to say about me! 


He is my biggest fan. A few posts down, I posted a poem that I like and then an imitation poem I wrote from it. He told me that my poem was better.


As long as I can remember, he has always told me that I need to make straight A's and go to college so I can get a good job. When he first told me this I was probably around 4, I went and came back to him later with a piece of paper filled with a bunch of "A's" I had written and asked "Are these straight enough?" By the time I was in kindergarten I was already telling people I was going to go to Sumner. I would pronounce it wrong in a way that sounded like suh-mah-ner. But I knew that was where I would go! He would remind me along the way of my education to keep making straight A's, to go to college, and the importance of it. I really think being taught that at such a young age and being reminded along the way has really shaped me into the student I am today. 


He has one of the biggest hearts and he definitely passed that down to me and I am glad.


I am so thankful for everything he has done for me. I don't say thank you enough, but I really do appreciate everything he does. He goes above and beyond. Every time I go home he will check my car, make sure the oil is just right, that my tires are filled up just enough, puts gas in it and sometimes even cleans it. He will send me texts with bible verses and inspirational quotes too. 


Dad, thank you for everything you do! You are an amazing Dad and I appreciate everything you done for me and continue to do! I love you!


I can't wait to see him walk my sister down the aisle and I can't wait to see him when I finally graduate college.


Sparkle & Shine,
Rachel
"Minnie"

No comments:

Post a Comment