Monday, December 31, 2012

2012

What a year! I reflected on my year and things I’ve done. It was quite a big year. Probably the biggest one yet filled with so much growth in numerous ways and the busiest schedule I’ve had yet! So I am going to go through my year in how I have grown in different ways, lists a bunch of “firsts” for me and other cool things I got to do!
Growing as a leader…
I was elected Vice President in Ambassadors in the spring and officially started my duties in the fall semester. I continued to be President in BUILD Beauty and then just recently was chosen to be Vice President for Blue Key Honor Society. My leadership roles have definitely become bigger and more important to me this past year. I was also selected to be my sister’s Maid of Honor in her wedding! I had never been a bridesmaid before and here I was in the highest rank as a 20 year old! I kept telling the other bridesmaids that I was new to all of this. It was a challenge since I was 20 years old with no wedding experience kind of leading women that were older than me. Luckily, we were blessed with women that have been involved in a wedding or two and did so much for me to help me and my sister through the process! My August was insane as I had Ambassador retreats the 2nd and 3rd and my sister’s bridal shower to help host on the 4th and then leave again on the 6th I believe it was to go to Indianapolis for conference. But it all worked out and I loved it!

Growing spiritually…
I started a daily devotional book called, “The Confident Woman” by Joyce Meyer that I successfully read every single day (usually right before bed) except for 3 days. Only 3 days that I missed, but made up for the next day! That book has helped me grow spiritually but as a woman as well. I feel that it has helped my thoughts, patience, and outlook on things. I feel stronger and more content. I don’t worry as much and stress out as much than I have in the past I feel like. It is an amazing book and I recommend it. I am going to start it over this year and highlight things this time. I also made it a goal over summer to go to church every week when I am home. I have been pretty successful in that except for a few occasions. There were a couple weekends I was doing wedding stuff and my birthday weekend that I did not make. I attended Thursday morning bible study over summer with a few other adults. I was the youngest, by a lot. But I loved that little group and becoming closer with people in my church. They hosted a retreat I went to and I was able to get away and learn more and make friends!

Growing through goodbyes...
This year my cat that I had had since I was a little girl passed away. It was also the end of the show, Desperate Housewives that I had watched from the very beginning with my mom. We watched it throughout the years together and I fell in love with that show, the characters and the times watching it with my mom. I also had to say goodbye to people graduating. This would be people I've grown close to through organizations like Ambassadors and BUILD Beauty. But I can revisit old episodes and keep in touch with others through the many forms of communication the Internet has to offer!

Growing through disappointments…
There were some disappointments, but I like to take them as things to learn from and grow stronger. I had my first negative criticism about my blog and YouTube channel. At first, I didn’t know how to handle it, but I am blessed with great family and friends that talked to me about it. I also tried this brand new idea I came up with for recruitment for Ambassadors. I wanted to do a showcase that had funny skits and a new way to relay info to students interested in Ambassadors. I was stressed and a little anxious on how it would turn out. After a lot of thinking, creating, rehearsing and preparing, only 1 student showed up. We ended up not doing everything we had planned. I went home disappointed, frustrated, tired, and even a bit embarrassed. Again, I have an awesome Ambassador family that supported me and made me feel better. Had to keep moving on! I also had a tougher time with classes this year and didn't even think at one point I would pass biology. I never really experienced that feeling, but had to deal with it and get through it!

Growing through work…
It was the first summer I had a somewhat big girl job that wasn’t at a concession stand. I started work at Fazoli’s. It was an experience and another side of work I got to learn about. I met new people that gave me a glimpse into lives of other people. Definitely a learning experience!
I also accepted a second job at ESU as a writer for an online fashion blog. I would be working with another girl that would help with ideas, do a little editing and be the photographer. It’s been pretty fun and the girl I get to work with is a hoot! We have a lot of fun together so sometimes I think; I get paid to do this?

Growing through poetry…
I took a poetry writing class and also a seminar of creative writing class that was a capstone class and one that graduate students could take. It was hard. There were times I had thought about dropping the seminar class, but I toughed it out. I had never done a project like that. I had never been that nervous and unsure of my work when I turned in the portfolio. Those classes made me grow so much emotionally and opened me up through writing. It got me out of the box and more comfortable writing about just about anything. I am so glad I took both of those classes and stuck it out.

A year of firsts…
I got my first iPhone and I have been in love with it ever since. I was glad to get it with how involved and busy I have become. It helps me communicate in all sorts of ways which is really important for things I do, search things, get to places, give me reminders, and wake me up!

I golfed for the first time at an Ambassador Alumni event!
I went to the President’s house for the first time when I went to plan for the BUILD Beauty birthday party.
I had my first s’more with a reese’s!

I finally finally had Chipotle for the first time after so many shocked reactions when I would tell people I hadn't had it.

My first legal drink!
I ate out by myself for the first time and even had a day at the mall on my own.
I attended my first bridal show.
Ashley and I were the first girls in Emporia, Kansas to get the Taylor Swift CD at midnight! They had to get it from the back!
Being the first woman Vice President of Blue Key
Made it on to my first postcard!

Amazing moments…
Receiving the Susan B. Anthony award
BUILD Beauty birthday party! BUILD Beauty turned 1-year-old!
District conference for Ambassadors in Fulton, Missouri!
National conference for Ambassadors in Indianapolis, Indiana!
Making history in the Blue Key Honor Society
Spending time with family and getting closer with my nephews & niece!
Becoming closer with people and making new friends!
Glad to have met one of my new BFFs, Kirsten!
Late night shakes at Steak N' Shake in Indianapolis 
After walking back to our hotel in the rain!
A couple special ladies in my life! Tayler & Doricka
Produced a confidence book with the BUILD Beauty girls!
Went on a sophisticated date with Sammie to see Hairspray!
Went to Clearwater, KS to celebrate Paige getting married!
Been reconnected with Colin who is like a big brother to me! At a wine tasting event for a local politician.
...and Colin has given me a big sister! Been falling in love with Jane! 
Glad to have these people that I get to laugh and be weird with! Stayed and helped me after the wedding too!
My brother and stister. Love them lots.
Stister love :)
Glad to have an amazing family! 
Have gotten closer to my Ambassador family!
Getting to work with the Emporia State President!
And getting to be an intern at the Admissions office with this lovely lady , Jade! 
And living with this amazingly awesome lady that puts up with me and shares a room with me in Emporia! Had a lot of laughs, rants, and spontaneous times with her! :)

I have been sleeping a lot this Christmas break and taking lots of naps. I think I am making up for all the naps I never got to take this last semester. And after reflecting over this year, no wonder, I am tired! I am relaxing and getting refreshed for the new year!

I already know 2013 has some pretty awesome things in store for me.
I will have 12 Vice President committee members in the spring and I will get to work with
11 other Blue Key members.
I will be taking 6 classes this next semester.
I have 4 amazing girls to help me run BUILD Beauty.
I will attend at least 3 conferences and see Lady Gaga in concert 2 times and I have 1 amazing year ahead of me! 

Happy New Year!

Sparkle & Shine,
Rachel 



1 comment:

  1. Rachel! I'm so excited I read your blog, I have been trying to find a fun, inspiring devotional to read over the new year and have just ordered The Confident Woman. Thanks for the recommendation, I can't wait to start reading it.

    -Bethanie

    ReplyDelete