Monday, December 10, 2012

Those Moments

Sometimes I have these moments that hit me and make me realize all the neat things that I am getting to do, things that I am a part of, and the people that I get to work with. It happened to me last week. Here I was sitting in a Blue Key meeting in the President's conference room with 11 other student leaders with one of my best friends to my right and the President of Emporia State on my left while our co-advisor, past lieutenant governor, Gary Sherrer was skyping us from Colorado. We were pitching our 3 big ideas to each other that deal with thousands of dollars. I'm thinking, am I really doing this?
There were great discussions, stories, history and more in that meeting that I won't forget.
I called my mom afterward and rambled on for awhile because I was just so excited about it.

Listening to stories about alumni and what they are doing and have done makes me so excited to see what I will be doing years from now. As I have learned more and more about how much alumni contribute to students, it makes me want to give back even more when I am an alumni and provide opportunities to students like they have done for me. In January, I will be flying to Toledo with another girl who is the President of Blue Key to attend the national conference at the University of Toledo. We've had the privilege of having everything taken care of by a couple of Blue Key alumni and the President of ESU. I asked the President if I could meet these alumni or skype them or whatever it is I need to do to personally thank them.

I have also been able to write and model for an online fashion blog for ESU. You can find it at esubulletin.com! It has been a little challenging due to a busy schedule and having a partner that helps me out and does the photography for it. We have to figure things out and then work around our schedules. But it has been pretty fun so far and my partner is pretty dang cool and funny. We are always laughing, joking around and talking in accents. I finally got contracted and will get paid soon. So there are times I think, I get to be paid to do this?

It was also neat to interview applicants interested in becoming an Ambassador and being able to have a say in the selection process. I was able to pull off a reveal night for them and it was great seeing them find out they made it. Ashley and I went through and picked committees for the upcoming semester and I am so excited about my group that I am wanting January to come so we can meet and get to work! I really feel like we have our own little Ambassador family.

I am so thankful for these opportunities that have been presented to me. I love getting to work with people that are becoming close friends. It has been amazing and can't wait to see what else is going to happen next.
Stop and think about some neat things you get to do. I think it can be easy to brush over among the chaos of life. It doesn't matter how big or small. It can be simply being able to laugh with a best friend that is luckily your roommate. It makes me smile. :)


I was talking with someone at the gym and he said, "You've done a lot and you are only 21!" That was another moment where it hit me.

Sparkle & Shine,
Rachel 
The Blue Key Honor Society

No comments:

Post a Comment