Sunday, December 30, 2012

A Letter To Myself


I wrote a letter to myself on January 1, 2012. It was the same day I created this blog. I wanted to write something that I could read at the end of the year to reflect on and see how far I’ve come and how much I’ve grown. I guess I never thought about how powerful it could be.

I decided to read it on Christmas night which would give me a week to reflect on the past year and give me time to write a new one for next year. I was just a couple lines in when tears came to my eyes. I was overwhelmed I suppose. There was something about reading a letter to myself written from my past self. It was nice to see how I was feeling then and what my resolutions and goals were. I could compare to what I am feeling now and also see how well I achieved those goals. It was encouraging because I was so positive about things and then also encouraged myself now. It meant a lot and was a nice reminder of how determined I can be and should be.
It was also a little humorous to see me write about how nervous and excited I was about turning 21 and thinking about how what a blast and a half it turned out to be. I even made a comment like, “Hey, Karrie and Devan are married now!” It was a big year.

I encourage you to make a letter to yourself! Here are tips on how you can start:
- Ask yourself, “How’s it going?”

- Write down how you are feeling right now.

- Write what is going on in life at the moment you are writing. Are you on Christmas break? What job do you have? Are you single? Planning a wedding? Did you just start a book?

- List resolutions and goals for the year. (Try to be specific.)

- Write encouraging words. (Learn! Learn! Learn! Do big things! Keep smiling and keep going!)

- Ask yourself questions. These can then be answered in the next letter a year from now.
I had written in mine “Right now I feel like I am getting stronger. I can’t imagine what it will feel like a year from now. What does it feel like?” This I can answer in my next letter!

The more detailed you are, the cooler it will be when you read it! Try to shoot for a page or two. Be sure to stash it away somewhere you won’t lose it, but also not forget about!

I hope you try this out and it can impact you next year!

Questions?
Email me: glitterandthegirlygirl@gmail.com
Tweet me: @rachelnmsparkle 

Sparkle & Shine,
Rachel 

No comments:

Post a Comment