Sunday, December 16, 2012

Lightning Bugs

I revisited a poem I drafted over summer and did some revising and thought I'd post it because I think it relates well with what is going on in the world. It's about a night I had with my niece who is in first grade. Definitely glad and thankful I got to have that moment and get to continue to have amazing moments with her.

It's a perfect weather
summer night.
The breeze in the air
sweeps softly through my hair
without a care in the world
like a little girl.
Lightning bugs are sprinkled
throughout the open yard.
They twinkle
and enchant the evening.
I stop for a moment
to think
about other people
in the world,
all the problems,
and hurt.
Any of mine seemed
tiny
like the lightning bugs
that were shining
that night
outside.
The only care I had
was to chase after
those twinkling lightning bugs
with Grace
right then,
to get the bug-filled jar
open.

Prayers go out to the victims in Newtown.

I'm thankful for my nephews and niece and will cherish my moments with them.

Sparkle & Shine,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment