Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Hair

Five years ago, I boldly cut my hair and hated it. I even made a Facebook “note” about it circa The Girly Girl and titled it, “Life is Short, But My Hair Doesn’t Have To Be.” Cute, I must say. I read it and I feel for 2010 Rachel. Oh, how I have grown. And my hair did too.

Fast forward to December 2014. The week of Christmas, I started having weird thoughts of cutting my hair. Since the 2010 hair cut, I had always wanted my hair long and encouraged others to keep their long hair too. I kept asking my friend Jessica, who just chopped her hair off, “Are you sure?” So when I started discussion with friends, they were pretty surprised.

I was already leaning pretty hard for this cut. It was Christmas night when I was experiencing a breakdown that I grabbed my phone while I was crying and texted Jessica that I wanted to cut my hair as soon as possible.  

I’ve been ending chapter after chapter lately and experiencing a lot of changes internally. I’ve been hurting a lot. Now I wanted to do something physical, but a little less permanent than a tattoo or piercing.
It quickly became an [eff you] to a lot of [bee ess] I went through in 2014. I was getting fresh for 20fifteen. I was hitting a restart button for a brand new year in hopes that these next chapters start soon.
Now I was nervous for it all. Was I going to hate it just like I did in 2010?
The big cut happened and I posted a picture on all of my social media platforms with no caption. I was letting it speak for itself. I was becoming blank and ready for new.

I was overwhelmed with the positive response I received. Really, you guys made me feel like a cool kid. But one word kept appearing. Cute. Was I just cute now? Some of you know my fascination with sexy and some have probably read my blog about that word. Others even remembered my hair “note” five years ago. Didn’t you blog about how much you hated your hair last time you cut it? You guys really do read. I digress. Anyway, sexy is important to me. Now I was feeling like my hair brought that. Was it gone? Did I just chop off a part of my appeal?

I talked to some of my lady friends about it. My short-haired lady friends. They brought good perspective to it. Gently reminding me of things I already knew: that a lot of sexy is in your mind and how you rock it. Also, it’s very subjective. Not just simply your hair. Even though society usually correlates long hair with sexy, they actually feel sexier with their short hair. There is some sort of special dash of sassy you get with short hair as I have been finding out. 2010 Rachel really obsessed over her hair and her confidence. I was refusing to make that a repeat.

A little over a week with my new do, I definitely feel like I found my sexy. And that feels fabulous. Take that 2010 haircut! See 2010 Rachel?! A lot of it is how you own it and back then I still didn't know how. 


As Coco Chanel says, “A woman who cuts her hair is about to change her life,” so I’m thinking, lets do this.
Sparkle&Shine.
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment