Sunday, December 28, 2014

Sunday Sprinkle: Drunk

Drunk 

I was drunk on him.
I drank every bit of him
until the straw became dry
and his love for me ran out.

I was wasted on all his words
and the promises he made.
I was intoxicated with his body
and how it mixed with my own.

He had me under the influence.
         I was under his influence.

I was so drunk that I didn’t notice
and so drunk that I didn’t know who I was.

I didn’t remember a lot of things.

It was when he broke my heart
that I became hung over.

I had a headache from his words
and the conversations that I played
over and over made me dizzy.
I threw up every promise
and cried for the person
that had made me feel loved.

I slept for a long time.
And when I woke up,
I found out who I was.

It was then it all felt like a dream.
I was no longer dazed and drunk.
I was finally seeing clear.


*Published in the 2014 edition of Emporia State University's Quivira 

Sparkle&Shine.
Rachel
@theglitterylife

1 comment:

  1. I really love this poem. I appreciate the tone because it makes me think of a confession that someone might say at an AA meeting or to a close friend when they've realized they've hit rock bottom. My favorite line is "I was so drunk that I didn’t notice / and so drunk that I didn’t know who I was" this is a feeling that is so relatable and I like how it has a double meaning (physically drunk or emotionally drunk). Excellent poem!

    ReplyDelete