Tuesday, December 30, 2014

2014: My Love Affair with Vulerability

2014 is closing. I’m anxiously waiting for the bartenders to tell me to leave. In the meantime, I’ve been thinking back on what the heck just happened.

After reflecting and sifting through so much of this year, a word kept showing up. Capable. And another one. Vulnerable. I mean, I could even put them together in a sentence.
I am capable of being vulnerable.

So just from this year, I learned…

I am capable of traveling alone on flights. I did this more than once. And I found that I kind of actually enjoy it.
I am capable of planning a district conference.
A guy showed me that I am capable of loving again. (And that guys are capable of taking me out on dates!) And that I am capable of trying new things like food, hiking, and whitewater rafting.
I am capable of graduating with a degree.
Capable of competing in a pageant (2 of them in one year!) Capable of losing 10lbs. Capable of walking across a stage in my swimsuit.
I am capable of fundraising money. Even asking people for help, I am capable of.
And admitting when I am sad.
I am now capable of recognizing that maybe some people aren’t good for me.
I am capable of being hurt.
My heart is capable of breaking again.
I am capable of facing two people that hurt me the most. And also capable of forgiving them.
I am capable of ending chapters.
But I am capable of staying in touch.
I am capable of standing up for myself.
I am capable of blocking.
And also, capable of saying no.
All be darned, I have the capability of surviving an hour on the treadmill. (Woof.)
Most of all, I am capable of being confident
and I am capable of loving myself.

To experience these capabilities, I had to be vulnerable. There was an article I was scared to write that would be in print for all my peers to see. I bore a lot of nerves and fear for that. I finally let myself be really vulnerable for a guy that just kept knocking. I hadn’t handed over my heart like that in years. And I felt it break soon after. I was vulnerable enough to be completely judged on a stage by judges, an audience, and people watching online across the nation. A lot of what I have done made me vulnerable to mean girls too.

But, I voluntarily accepted this weird responsibility to bare myself to experience, whether good or bad, not only because I want to for myself, but as some sort of obligation as a writer. Writing is my passion. And to keep writing and writing well, I feel the need to experience. But I also want to experience these things so I can write to you. It’s when I receive feedback from my readers that they can relate or be inspired from what I write, it makes it all worth it. And for me to bare myself to all these experiences in life, I need to be quite vulnerable.

My Love Affair with Vulnerability

My soul is susceptible.
It’s willing to be a pebble
with harsh waters washing over me
in waves of hate and grace.

I make it easier for you to hurt me
with this life lived exposed.

Have you heard about my love affair
with vulnerability?
--- It’s more than a crush.
Our hearts beat loudly
and together we make everything tempting.
With risk comes a rush.
Courage knows nothing better than how to kiss.

My skin has walked the stage.
I have been judged and attacked
as the spotlight shines through me
showing mistakes I’ve made.

Do something, say anything, and write poetic lines;
and [I] wait to be criticized.
It has been a whirlwind bittersweet year. Right now, I have a bitter taste in my mouth, but I know time will make it sweeter.There were a lot of pivotal events I needed to experience and some of them were a little painful. A lot of chapters ended. A love story, a friendship, and my time in a town I called home for 4 years. I was laying down on an air mattress with Kirsten trying to get to sleep on our last night in the apartment I spent 3 years in. I could hear the trains. I remembered the first couple nights I laid awake in that apartment when I was not used to them. They annoyed me. But on that last night, I smiled. They were comforting and I was going to miss them.
Sprinkles of happy moments in 2014---
Graduating college + The arrival of my niece, Ella Jane + Meeting the other Rachel Nicole Marshall (twice!) + Achieving fitness goals + Traveling + 3 concerts over the summer [Lady Gaga, Justin Timberlake, Katy Perry] + Meeting Colbie Caillat + Being a Maid of Honor for a best friend's wedding  + Competing in Miss Kansas USA + The Royals in the World Series + The release of Taylor Swift's 1989 album + Getting new glasses and playing around with my style
Resolutions
My resolutions are:
to write a line a day
read a book every 2-3 weeks
My writing is going to be a huge focus for me in 2015. I am determined to push myself in this area. 
What are you resolutions?
I may be a little too excited for the arrival of 2015. I am going to give it a big wave hello. Heck, I may even kiss it! There is so much open space and opportunity. I can’t wait to explore. I want to consume everything and learn as much as I can. I hope we all have great adventures and lots of laughter in 2015.


Thank you for another great year and your continued support of my writing and this blog. 3 whole years down!

Sparkle&Shine.
Rachel
@theglitterylife
*Pink words are links to previous related blog posts if interested in further reading


1 comment:

  1. That is an amazing picture. I love B/W photos. It was the standard long ago. Just being b/w makes you look very different from your "color" self. Not sure exactly different how, but maybe the contour of your cheek bone, your eyes seem darker and more mysterious and your semi-smile gives a much different effect than your full smile. Content, perhaps? Sorry, I was bored.

    ReplyDelete