Thursday, December 25, 2014

Your Last Week of 2014 To-Do List

What are you going to do with your last week of 2014?
I am one of those people that like fresh starts; new days, weeks, months, and right now, I am anxiously waiting for the new year.

It feels like I am borderline obsessed with thinking about 2015. This will be the first January in which I am not going back to school. There isn’t much marked on my calendar. I don’t have a graduation to work toward or any other big events, really. Still job searching. So much OPEN space!

I will post about my 2014 this coming week, but as I have been reflecting, I have come to realize I have ended a lot of chapters. So I am excited to start a bunch of new ones real soon. And 2015 is one of them.

So how can we prepare? Here are some of the things that I have been working on and will be doing my last week!

Take time to think about 2014
I love looking back at the year and reflecting on what just happened. What did I accomplish? What did I learn? Who did I meet? Where did I travel to? I also like to think of the themes that seemed to pop up. Look at what you have taken from 2014 so you can use it for 2015.
Organize, Organize, Organize. Delete, Delete, Delete.
Email – I have multiple email accounts and I have finally gotten in the habit of keeping up with deleting and organizing emails. I use Gmail and love to make folders and subfolders so I can stash away the emails that I want to keep or are important. Makes it less cluttered and not so daunting when you log in.
My Mac – I like to keep my desktop clean. I have my “Poetry” folder and then will have a few things I am currently working on. I just went through a bunch of folders, documents, and pictures throwing away things I don’t need anymore and cleaned up areas by making subfolders. I also cleaned through my Dropbox and backed up certain folders to my flash drive just in case something were to happen!
I even edited and changed around my dock!
iPhone – I am currently going through my contacts on my phone. I don’t think I have ever sat down and deleted contacts I don’t need/use anymore since I have had a phone going into the 8th grade. And as I have gotten new phones, they would just transfer over. Somehow down the line of one of my iPhones, my Facebook contacts synced to my contacts and saved. I changed the setting, but the synced ones are still there. So I even have duplicates of people! I have hundreds of contacts from old volleyball coaches, teachers, high school friends, people I met at conferences, and probably over 100 ambassadors from ESU. There are even some people I don’t even remember who they are. This is an undertaking, but much needed. I don’t think I need phone numbers of moms that chaperoned high school field trips anymore!

Go through apps and delete things you don't use anymore. Wipe out old pictures. Delete old texts. Refresh your phone!

*I would also suggest actually powering off your electronics. I rarely shutdown my Mac and iPhone as much as I should. This is a good time!

Social Media - You can take the time to update all of your profiles. Check and make sure you are up to date and do an overall check-in with what you have been posting. You can also go through your friends lists and who you are following.

Purse – I got a new purse and wallet for Christmas, which I am excited about. But even if you don’t get new pieces, I would encourage you to take time to go through them. I don’t think we go through them enough. I found lots of change and fortunes from fortune cookies!

Old gift cards – As I have been de-cluttering, I have come across old gift cards. You can simply search online and enter the numbers to see their balances. Some barely have anything on them, but I have been making a point to use them, because I don’t want to waste money. It’s like getting a little discount!

Makeup – Might as well go through makeup and see what you are using and not using anymore. You might need to throw away that mascara you have had for awhile. This is a good time to clean your brushes too.

Start thinking about your resolutions
Since I am taking this new year serious, my resolutions have been just as serious. I even researched resolution ideas. I wanted to have something I could do every day as well as other goals and resolutions to work on through the year. I would really think about what it is that you feel needs to be worked on or what you would like to accomplish. Make smart resolutions like you would with goals. Try to be specific as possible. Don’t just say, “I want to get in shape.” Make it specific with pounds and/or inches lost by a certain date for example.

You can take the week to get prepared for them. What will you need to accomplish these goals? Need a gym membership? You can start researching gyms near by. One of my resolutions will be dealing with reading more. I have already been asking people for book recommendations and have written an actual list out. I am already up to 30!

Write a letter
In the past, I have written a letter to myself on the 1st of January. I will read it the next year and write another one. (My 2014 letter is still missing in action! I am pretty bummed I haven’t found it. So make sure you remember where you stash them! I think the transition of moving and cleaning out my room might have had something to do with it!) This is a cool way to speak to yourself and see where you were at a year ago. It’s a nice way to tell yourself about your resolutions as well.

There are some other things I am thinking about doing to prepare for my new year. These were just some of what I have been doing, have done, and suggest. You can go through clothes, shoes, and books too. De-cluttering, recharging, and rebooting are good for you! Do you have any ideas for me as I am about to complete my last week of 2014? Please send me them by emailing me at glitterandthegirlygirl@gmail.com.

Have a great last week! Please feel free to share what you do with it! Tweet me @theglitterylife with #LastWeek.


Sparkle&Shine.
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment