Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sumner Academy: Forensics

This morning I woke up and I checked my Facebook app and one of the first things I see is a status update from Mrs. Brown announcing that the Sumner forensics team had won the 4A State title this year! I was filled with happiness for the team, Mrs. Brown, and the school. I was on the forensics team for three years (sophomore-senior year). It definitely has a special place in my heart. I definitely broke out of my shell, made wonderful memories, and was part of a little family of our own. I loved performing and making people laugh, especially large crowds during finals. It's an amazing feeling making people laugh like that.

We definitely faced a lot of obstacles and had a lot of heart break during my time on the team. I will never forget sitting in the bathroom at Blue Valley North crying with Mrs. Brown and Khrystal after Marcus and I were jipped on our chance to go to nationals that year after a hugely successful run with our Scooby-Doo DUO. Or the heartbreak we all felt when our dream team my senior year fell just a little short and ended up 2nd at State to a team that cheated. We held our head high and didn't say anything because we weren't like that. We accepted it with grace.

We had great moments too seeing Khrystal break records in the pentathalon at St. Thomas Aquinas and having Marcus and Tre finish high at CFL nationals. We had a lot of laughs such as when Marcus scared Khrystal after they saw Nightmare on Elm Street and him acting it out at the hotel for us. Caleb driving through the grass at Washburn Rural to get us to State when we were running late and more.

We won a lot as a team and individually and we were hated by other schools because of it. It didn't help either that we were from Wyandotte and the "ghetto" area at that. That we were so diverse and predominately African American. Schools would talk about us and say we played "the race card." They would look at us weird when we would enter the fancy schools in Johnson County and Blue Valley or when we were just being ourselves. Some schools wouldn't come to our school for tournaments because they didn't like our location and were too scared. We could never attempt a Friday night tournament either. It definitely taught me the harsh realities of discrimination and the lack of diversity people can have. We put up with being the underdog and looked down upon and in a classy way. We were just different. Last year when I was talking with Mrs. Brown she said that Sumner was asked to host national qualifier when it is usually a bid type thing. She didn't bid for it, they asked her. They wanted to see what water we were drinking because we were that good.

Seeing that Mrs. Brown and the team had finally gotten that title warmed my heart. Mrs. Brown deserves it. It feels like we finally conquered them all. I am proud of the students because I know they must have worked so hard and really rocked it this weekend.
The forensics team and Sumner as a whole has a special place in my heart. There is so much talent in that school and I love when it is recognized. I am so proud to have gone there and be a part of some wonderful things, get to know amazing beautiful people, and learn so much. Proud Alumni :)

I will always be thankful for that school and never forget what it did for me.
Don't forget your roots.

Sparkle & Shine,
Rachel

2010 - 2nd place

2012 State Champions

No comments:

Post a Comment