Saturday, January 14, 2012

First Day of School Style

This last Wednesday was our first day of school at Emporia State University and I was anxious to get back! Mainly because of this "new year, new me" thing I got going on and it's a brand new semester with brand new classes that I actually looked forward to! I went shopping last weekend and got some new clothes which made it even more exciting to wear them!
I got a new pair of jeans from my favorite place to get jeans which is Delia's and it was awesome getting them a size smaller! With the stresses of the break up and everything else last semester, I found out at my doctor's appointment over break that I have lost 10 pounds! I could kind of feel it and see it but it made it even more real when I heard my new weight. Growing up I have always been skinny, but the last couple years I started to gain weight and deep down it would bother me. In high school, we had a health fair my senior year and they took my weight and BMI and I got a letter in the mail a couple weeks later telling me that I was considered overweight and it gave me tips on how to deal with bullying because of my weight. I knew I wasn't obese or even close to it, but as a girl, you can't help to be a little bit bothered by something like that. Last year there was a time where I wouldn't wear this form fitting V-neck shirt because I didn't think my body looked good in it. So last spring semester I got a personal trainer at the rec center and made some progress and then over the summer I got myself a membership to the Y and worked out a lot. I started noticing my body toning up but the number didn't really go down. If there are positives to that horrible semester I went through, losing the weight I had been wanting to get off is one of them even though it wasn't the most healthy way. But now I have motivation to keep it off!

I also got some cute tops that aren't just graphic tees. The last few years I had gotten myself into a rut when it came to clothes. I wore the same kind of stuff ALL the time. Graphic tees, t-shirts, hoodies and sweatpants. My goal now when it comes to shopping has been all about getting cute things that are different from what I normally would get to expand my style. And let me tell you, I have been loving it! My senior year of high school, I got to a point where I never really felt like dressing up for school and would rather go for the comfy look in my sweats. It got to a point where this one girl I didn't get a long with very well asked one of my friends if I was pregnant because I was wearing sweatpants so much! It was pretty ridiculous and I confronted her at lunch one day by telling her I wasn't pregnant! When I came to college, I had cut my hair that summer before and my self-esteem went down a lot because I didn't feel confident with short hair. I was also still in my sweats and a t-shirt phase and it was rare I would dress up. The second semester of my Freshman year, I started dressing up more because I was inspired by one of my friends, Ashley Rodgers, who almost always wore jeans no matter what! I was also getting more involved on campus and thought it would be better if I wore jeans a bit more than sweats!

My first day of school went great and even better, I felt great inside and out. My new smaller jeans felt amazing and comfy and I felt so cute and feminine in my new flowy top. I felt confident with my long wavy hair too! I can say I haven't felt this confident and happy with the way I look and feel in a very long time...maybe even ever. But with everything else, you got to try things before you figure out what you like and don't like. Once I noticed how bad my hair cut effected me, I now know to never cut my hair that short again and I appreciate and love my longer hair even more now! I now know that I can wear girly flowy tops and feel good in them. I just needed to try it on! You should try new styles too! What are you going to try on?
Another cool thing that happened this week since I am talking about styles is that my friend, Carlos, texted me giving me kudos to my style and told me I have a nice sense of style! "You don't have to try Rachel, you've got swagg! :)" is also what he texted me! I have never had anyone tell me I have swag. Lol I have been complimented on my style before, but this one meant a lot because it was complimenting what my style is right now. It's the new stuff I have been trying and it feels awesome to know that it is showing and making impressions. That was my goal: to make a great first impression the first week of school. I guess I have succeeded! :) Thanks Carlos!

Sparkle & Shine,
Rachel


No comments:

Post a Comment