Sunday, June 21, 2015

Sunday Sprinkle: How The Dictionary Discouraged Me

How the Dictionary Discouraged Me

My lack of vocabulary has me discouraged.
Maybe I should have stuck to reading the dictionary that day
as an aspiring 8-year-old wanting to know everything about the world.
I didn’t even get through A.
Maybe I got discouraged.
Or maybe I had gymnastics practice to get to.
Now I wonder what eloquent words I can use in my poetry
because I am discouraged thinking my poems about puppy love,
immature boys, bars, and my broken heart won’t be good enough.
Now they’re really going to think I’m a beauty queen.
I’ve heard you can’t let rejection letters discourage you
and that it means you are one step closer to getting published.
22-years-old and I barely know an inkling of the world,
but I still have the 8-year-old aspirations to know everything I possibly can.
It’s when I think about all the books I still haven’t read, the songs I haven’t listened to,
and the movies I haven’t seen that I get discouraged again. The world is so big.
It’s all about time and what I do with it, really, though.
All this time I have been writing this poem,
I could have looked up synonyms for discouraged in the thesaurus,
which would give this poem flavor, but instead,
I chose to use [discouraged] as a motif.
Did you catch any alliteration earlier? Hmm.
…So maybe I have learned something since being 8-years-old.
Things a dictionary certainly couldn’t teach.
When I wasn’t reading the dictionary, I was experiencing things.
Things I can write about in the first place.
The dictionary won’t read my poetry anyway.
It’s you that I need to relate to.
I can go to the dictionary for help if I need it.
What I need is to continue living life.
You know, that doesn’t sound discouraging.
More like the antonym: inspiring

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment